Two Sydney Airport employees have been stood down after a near-collision between a Jetstar A320 and a Qatar Airways Boeing 777 on Sunday morning.
The Jetstar pilots braked after spotting the Qatar jet, which was being towed across their path.
One Jetstar crew member was injured in the incident.
A formal investigation has since been launched.
Here’s what you need to know.
What happened
Jetstar flight JQ402 was taxiing out for a flight to the Gold Coast when its crew spotted a Qatar Airways 777 crossing the tarmac.
The 777 was being towed by a tug at the time.
Both aircraft stopped abruptly.
Your contribution ensures The Daily Aus can continue doing the work you love.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said a cabin crew member on the Jetstar plane was injured, and there was damage to the connection between the 777’s nose gear and the tug.
No passengers were hurt.
Response
Jetstar said its aircraft was following air traffic control instructions when pilots were “forced” to brake hard.
It is now investigating the incident.
Federal Transport Minister Catherine King told the ABC the incident was “extremely concerning”.
She said a ground controller and the tug operator had been stood down and would undergo mandatory drug and alcohol testing. The two work for a third-party company, not Sydney Airport directly.
King also said a new simulator had been installed to allow more air traffic controllers to be trained to work at Sydney Airport.







